Writing Our Own History
McElheney Hardware was opened in 1911, at 1505 Adams Street by William McElheney. The business was moved to 1430 Adams Street in 1950.
In 1956 Robert McElheney purchased the business from his father and continued to operate it at this location. Robert’s son William joined the business in 1957 and began to grow the locksmith portion.
In 1972 William purchased the business from his father and continues to operate it today. William moved the business to 1301 Adams Street in 1976 and began to focus more on locksmithing. The hardware store was closed in the mid 1980’s and the company name was changed to McElheney Locksmiths, Inc.
McElheney Locksmiths, Inc. moved to their current location at 1214 Jefferson Ave. in 1991. This location has a large showroom filled with safes and walls lined with over 3000 different key blanks.
McElheney Locksmiths, Inc. also has on staff an American Association of Automatic Door Manufacturers Certified Inspector, a Schlage Security Management Systems Certified Installer, a Vanderbilt SMS access control certified installer, and multiple manufacturer and industry certifications. Our commitment to continuing education is never ending.